Friday, 21 December 2012

Plagiarism Within The Creative Industries

I am a young designer currently studying fashion design at university in London.  We were recently set a project that underlined a problem I feel Creatives face on a daily basis.  It is a concern that is constantly at the back of my mind when designing.  The project brief:  Design an Autumn/Winter 2013 collection for this designer... The options for designers:  Balenciaga, Gareth Pugh, Mary Katrantzou, Burberry, Hussein Chalayan.  The concern:  how to design their new collection without copying what they have already done?  Of all the project briefs I have been given over the last few years, through A-Levels and now in university, this is the one I have had the most problems with.  On a daily basis, I design with the mantra in mind, 'don't copy, don't imitate, don't be like the others'.  Therefore, to be given this brief works exactly against my work process.  I know that my favourite designers are the ones who don't follow the trends of the season, the ones who think outside of the box.   For me, the worst thing anyone could say about my work, is 'oh, that looks like something McQueen would do', or Gaultier, or Westwood, or Christopher Kane.  The horror at this comment does not come from my dislike of these designers, but rather, from my great admiration of their individuality amongst the crowd.  Basically, it's about being the trendsetter opposed to the trend follower.  

So please give me feedback, on how you feel about creative ideas within the Arts and originality.

No comments:

Post a Comment