Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Summer Book Review No. 3: The Pillars Of The Earth by KEn Follett

I actually enjoyed this book! At first, due to the sheer enormity of the book, I wasn't quite sure if I was going to be able to complete it. It did take me a good 100 pages or so to really get into it but after a while I was hooked. If you aren't into epic tales, with a lot of historical and factual detail, then this might not be the book for you, but this isn't all the the novel contains. There is also some lovely romance, friendships, as well as rivalry and deception. It reminded me a bit of a Phillipa Gregory book in its tone and subject matters. There are many characters in this novel and several generations within this novel and they all centre around the building of a cathedral. The only reason I gave this novel four stars rather than five is because I felt that the last 100 pages wandered on a bit too long for my liking but other than that, I really loved this book and would be interested in reading more of Ken Follett's work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment