Monday, 2 April 2012

Further Development

So, in the last few days, since my last post, I have been researching ways and methods to go about starting up a business.  I plan to open my shop on Etsy as I believe it will be a good forum for my work.  From all my research and purchases on that website, they seem to have a good, caring community that really is about the individual and the artisan.  Bearing in mind that I'm learning as I go along, these are the things that I have so far discovered are necessary to open a shop on Etsy:
  • First of all, sign up to Etsy! This is very easy to do and doesn't take very long.  Bear in mind that even when you sign up as a customer, the username you choose will become your shop name if you later decide to upgrade to a shop in Etsy
  • Sign up to a PayPal account.  This is slightly more complicated than the Etsy sign up but not too difficult.  Make sure to sign up for the account that's suitable for small or new businesses.  With this one, you don't have to pay any special business fees.
  • This Paypal account has to be linked to a bank account. If you do not have one set up with the name of your business, now would be a good time to begin one.  Don't do this in a rush, as there are several elements that need to be considered and the process itself can take quite a while as the banks often have to go through various safety checks.
  • Once these three stages are complete, you are set up and ready to start selling.  In the next few posts, I'm going to be exploring product development, branding, pricing, advertising etc.  If you want me to explore any particular element of starting a business, let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment